Beef Pot Pie
Beef Pot Pie
- 800g chuck steak, cut into 3cm pieces
- 50g seasoned plain flour, for dusting
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g canned cherry tomatoes
- 100ml red wine
- 300ml beef stock
- 100ml Kikkoman Less Salt Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce*
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 375g butter puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing
This dish is equally as delicious served as a casserole without the pastry lid.
3 hours 10 minutes
- Toss beef in 30g seasoned plain flour to coat well, shake off excess. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan (or casserole pan with a lid) over medium-high heat, add beef and brown well all over, and remove from saucepan.
- Heat remaining oil in saucepan, add onion, carrot and garlic and saute, scraping base of pan, until tender (4-5 minutes). Add remaining season plain flour, stir for 1 minute, add canned tomato and wine and stir until smooth.
- Add stock and Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce, bring to the simmer. Return the beef to the pan, add bay leaves, season to taste with black pepper and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 _ hours. Remove lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is very tender (45 minutes-1 hour).
- Stir through vinegar, check seasoning and divide among four 250ml-capacity oven-proof dishes and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C. Cut out rounds from puff pastry large enough to cover with a 5mm overhang, brush edges with egg yolk, then place over beef mixture, pressing edges to seal with a fork. Brush pastry tops with egg yolk, season with pepper and pierce a hole in the centre.
- Place on a baking tray and bake until pastry is golden and cooked through (15-20 minutes) and serve hot.
*This can be replaced with Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce.