This recipe can also be used with pork as a replacement for the chicken.
Stir Fried Rice with Chicken and Cashews
- 270g (1 1/3) cups Jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (50mL) vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs, lightly whisked
- 600g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced*
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (80mL) salt reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) Kikkoman Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon (20mL) dry sherry
- 80g (1/2 cup) unsalted cashews
- Fresh coriander leaves, torn, to serve
- Cook rice as directions on packet. Or see tip below.
- Meanwhile, heat wok or fry pan over medium/high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until smoking. Add the eggs, tilting the wok to cover the base. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side until just set. Slide the omelette onto a chopping board and roll up and cut into thick strips crosswise.
- Wipe the wok clean. Heat again over a high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil and heat until smoking. Stir fry the chicken until golden and cooked through. (You may need to cook the chicken in batches) Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in the wok and stir fry the garlic and celery for 1 minute, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the stock and simmer until slightly reduced. Add both sauces and the sherry. Simmer for 1 minute or until reduced.
- Add the rice, reserved chicken and cashews and toss to combine. Top with coriander leaves and serve.
*Option to use chicken stir fry strips, available from supermarkets.
Tip: Freshly cooked rice is hot, steamy and can get soggy and clumpy. Using day old rice makes the best fried rice, storing it in a container in the fridge dries out the rice.