This dish is even better if made the day before. It can also be frozen.
Slow Cooked Beef with Red Wine and Mushrooms
25 minutes (excluding 1 hour marinating time)
Approx. 3 hours
- 1kg chuck or blade steak, cubed.
- 1/2 cup Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 rashers rindless bacon, sliced
- 8 small onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 200g whole small field mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Combine Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce, white wine and chicken stock. Place beef in a non-metallic flat dish and pour marinade mixture over. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 180 deg. C. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a heat-proof casserole dish, brown bacon and set aside. Add remaining oil, onions and garlic and cook until golden. Set aside.
- Remove beef from marinade and drain well.
- Place beef in casserole and brown on all sides. Return the bacon, onions, garlic, red wine and stock. Press baking paper over the dish and cover tightly with a lid.
- Cook for 2 hours in oven without opening lid. Check for seasoning and tenderness, stir in mushrooms and thyme and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and garnish with thyme leaves.