Seared Tuna, Fennel and Orange Salad with Soy Dressing
25 minutes (excluding 1 hour marinating time)
Approx. 3-5 minutes
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground fennel seeds
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 tbsp. (20mL) orange juice
- 80mL (1/3 cup) Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 800g piece tuna, skin removed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. mirin
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented
- 200g (2 cups) shredded savoy cabbage
- Combine fennel seeds, orange rind, juice and 60mL Kikkoman Soy Sauce in a large bowl. Add tuna and turn to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the tuna from marinade and coat in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place remaining 20mL soy sauce, mirin, sugar, sesame oil and ginger in a jug and stir to combine.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat until very hot and sear tuna for 1 minute on each side or until browned. Cool, and then cut into 5mm-thick slices.
- Place fennel, spring onions, orange segments and cabbage in a bowl. Add half the soy and mirin dressing. Toss to combine.
- Serve salad with tuna, drizzled with remaining dressing.