To make absolutely sure the pork is dry after pouring on the boiling water, dry with a hair dryer.
Roasted Pork Belly with Sweet Soy & Ginger Sauce
- 1.2kg whole piece boned pork belly with skin on and scored
- 3L boiling water
- Sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) Kikkoman Sweet Soy Sauce*
- 1/4 cup (60mL) rice vinegar
- 3 star anise
- 2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice powder
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 small whole red or green apples
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green salad, to serve (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 260 deg. C. Place pork on a wire rack in the sink and pour boiling water oven skin.
- Dry pork thoroughly with paper towels. (It is important to dry pork thoroughly; otherwise the skin will not crisp.)
- Season each side with pepper. Combine chilli flakes with enough salt to rub all over pork skin. (Rub salt mixture in well, making sure the salt gets into all the cuts.)
- Place pork belly on a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180 deg. C and roast for a further 20 minutes, or until pork juices run clear when pork is pierced with a skewer and the skin is crisp.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine the Kikkoman Sweet Soy Sauce, rice vinegar, star anise, five spice powder and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to boil and gently simmer for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Serve at room temperature with the pork.
- For the apples, place apples in a roasting pan. Spray with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place apples in oven with pork during the last hour of cooking.
- Remove pork from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with the roasted apples, and your favourite green salad if desired. Serve sauce separately.
Tip: get your butcher to score the pork skin for you.
*Variation: substitute Kikkoman Sweet Chilli, Ginger & Soy Marinade & Sauce for the Sweet Soy Sauce if desired.