- 1kg mashing potatoes (about 7)
- 200ml hot milk
- 40g finely grated cheddar
- 80g butter, coarsely chopped
- 500ml (2 cups) fish stock
- 50ml dry white wine
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved finely chopped
- 350g white fish such as cod or snapper cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g ocean trout cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g green prawns
- 200g smoked fish, coarsely chopped
- 60g plain flour
- 2 tbsp. Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 170ml pouring cream
- 2 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. dill, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Green leaf salad, to serve
Approx. 1 hour 30 minutes
- Place potato in a large saucepan cover with water, bring to the simmer over medium heat and cook until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain well, return to pan, mash add milk and 30g butter and mix until smooth, season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Bring stock, wine and 100ml water to the simmer in a large saucepan, add fennel and simmer until tender (8-10 minutes). Add white fish, ocean trout and prawns and cook stirring occasionally to poach (2 minutes), drain and reserve poached seafood and stock separately. You will need 600ml stock.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add flour, stir until sandy-coloured (1-2 minutes), add reserved stock stirring a little at a time, stirring continuously, then stir occasionally until reduce to sauce consistency (18-10 minutes). Add cream and reduce until thick (15-20 minutes). Add Kikkoman Soy Sauce, stir to combine, set aside to cool slightly, stir through herbs, poached seafood and smoked fish and spoon into a 2.5 L capacity oven-proof dish (or individual single dishes), top with potato mash, scatter with cheddar and bake until golden and cooked through (30-35 minutes). Serve hot with green leaf salad.