Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
Approx. 10 minutes
Approx. 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) rice bran or peanut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (20mL) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (20mL) Kikkoman Sweet Chilli, Ginger & Soy Marinade & Stir Fry Sauce
- 2x 400g can crushed Italian-style tomatoes
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125mL) dry white wine
- 1.5kg mussels, beards removed
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large deep saucepan over low-medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook stirring for about 3 minutes or until onion is soft, taking care not to burn. Add tomato paste and stir into onion mixture.
- Add Sweet Chilli, Ginger & Soy Marinade and Sauce, tomatoes, lemon rind and juice, caster sugar and wine. Simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add mussels to sauce. Cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until mussels open. Discard any mussels not open.
- Ladle sauce and mussels into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.