Sesame, Ginger and Soy Slow Cooked Beef Ribs
2 hours 45 minutes
- 1kg beef short ribs
- 2 large knobs ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 750ml beef stock or water
- 200ml Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce
- 100ml Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Steamed rice
- Heat oil in an ovenproof baking dish. Add beef short ribs, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 five minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add shallots, chilli, ginger and garlic to the pan. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Deglaze the pan with Chinese wine and then add the sugar. Cook for a further one minute.
- Pour in soy sauce and stock. Return ribs to the pan along with the kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan with a lid and transfer to a preheated oven at 160C for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat falls off the bone.
- Serve with steamed rice and topped with toasted sesame seeds.