Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce or Kikkoman Honey Soy can be substituted if desired.
Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks with Asian Flavours
1 hour 30 minutes (oven), 4-6 hours (slow cooker)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 lamb shanks, frenched*
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 6 baby yellow squash, halved
- 3 cups (750mL) salt reduced beef stock
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (60mL) Kikkoman Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Steamed baby carrots, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg. C.
- Combine flour and black pepper and roll lamb shanks in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add the meat and brown well on all sides, taking care not to burn. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli flakes to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften. Transfer the lamb shanks, onion mixture, capsicum and squash to an oven-proof casserole dish with a lid, or to a slow cooker.
- Add the stock, vinegar, Sweet Soy Sauce, pepper, star anise and cinnamon stick. Cover and place in oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or to a slow cooker on medium for 4-6 hours, until the meat is almost falling off the bone.
- Serve with mashed potato and steamed baby carrots.
*Frenched lamb shanks are shanks where the excess fat and tendons have been removed from the top of the shank. Your butcher will do this for you.