Serve with Asian herbs such as Thai basil, coriander or Vietnamese mint.
Sweet Soy & Citrus Braised Chicken
1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5L salt reduced Chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 large chicken thigh fillets, skin on
- 1/2 cup (125mL) salt reduced chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125mL) fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon (20mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125mL) Kikkoman Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 4 strips orange rind
- 2 star anise
- 3 teaspoons corn flour
- 1 tablespoon (20mL) water
- Steamed rice, Asian herbs and toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160 deg.C.
- Heat oil in a non-stick fry pan over medium heat and cook half the chicken, skin side down for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a roasting pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Combine stock, Sweet Soy Sauce, five spice, orange rind, citrus juices and star anise in a saucepan over for 5 minutes low heat, stirring occasionally to ensure well combined, then pour over chicken.
- Cover roasting pan with foil and bake for about 1 1/4 hours or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a skewer.
- When cooked, transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm. Transfer sauce from the roasting pan to a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Combine corn flour and water in a small bowl, mixing well. Gradually add corn flour mixture to sauce and cook, stirring gently until the sauce boils and thickens.
- To serve, slice chicken fillets, divide the rice among individual plates, top with Asian greens, then chicken. Drizzle over the sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Variation: Add 1 cup cooked shredded chicken if desired.