Braised Lamb Shanks with Gremolata
3 1/2 hours
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups (750mL) beef stock
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 400g can butterbeans
For the Gremolata
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Soft polenta
- Roasted truss tomatoes
- Steamed green beans
- Dust the lamb shanks in the flour and pepper, and shake off any excess.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan and brown lamb in batches. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add onion to frying pan and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. Add tomatoes, stock, Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce and sugar. Bring to the boil. Pour mixture into the casserole dish and add the rosemary and thyme.
- Cook for 3 hours or until shanks are meltingly tender. Fold through butterbeans and heat through.
- Combine grated lemon rind, parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
- Serve lamb shanks on soft polenta, sprinkled with gremolata. Accompany with roasted truss tomatoes and steamed green beans.
Variation: You could cook this for 6-8 hours in a slow-cooker adding the butterbeans for the last hour.