When browning beef, do not overcrowd in the pan, as this will cause it to steam, rather than brown.
Can be made the day before, then refrigerated until needed.
Classic Beef Casserole
- ½ cup (175mL) Kikkoman Sesame, Ginger & Soy Marinade & Stir Fry Sauce*
- 1.5kg topside steak, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 3 tablespoons (40mL) olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 2 x 425g cans diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60mL) red wine
- 1 cup (250mL) salt reduced beef stock
- Baby potatoes and crusty bread to serve
- Place meat in a flat non-metallic dish and pour over the Sesame & Ginger Marinade. Marinate in fridge for 1 hour (longer for a richer flavour).
- Remove from fridge. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium/high heat. Cook beef, in batches until browned. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil and next 7 ingredients. Cook stirring for 5 minutes. Transfer contents to a large saucepan or flame-proof casserole. Add beef to saucepan with tomatoes, wine and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 2 hours or until beef is very tender. Uncover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes to reduce some of the liquid.
- Serve with crusty bread and boiled baby new potatoes.
VARIATION: Substitute lamb shoulder if desired.
Replace Sesame Ginger and Soy Marinade with Kikkoman Less Salt Sauce.