Chicken Liver Pate with Five Spice
Approx. 15 minutes (excluding time for soaking and cooling process)
Approx. 15 minutes
- 500g chicken livers
- 2 cups (500mL) milk
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (20mL) butter
- 60mL spring (green) onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) milk, extra
- Soak chicken livers in the 2 cups milk for 30 minutes to help remove any impurities. Remove from milk, drain and remove any sinews and fat. Discard milk.
- Heat oil and butter in a large fry pan over a medium-high heat and add the chicken livers.
- Saute for 1 minute, turning once, until they begin to brown. Do not overcook.
- Add the green onions and ginger. Saut_ for 1 minute then add the Kikkoman soy sauce, Chinese Five Spice and the 2 tablespoons milk. Continue to cook for 4 or 5 minutes more, until the livers are cooked but still slightly pink inside.
- Remove from the heat and allow the livers too cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled add the then process the mixture in a food processor until smooth, add mixture to a serving dish and refrigerate until required.
Tip: Serve in a bowl with thin slices of toast or crispbread.